If You Need a Substantive Editor
If You Need an Indexer
- Indexing Society of Canada's Find an Indexer registry
For Writers, Self-Publishers, and Those Seeking Publishers
- The Writers' Union of Canada's Guide to Getting Published
- What's the Point of an Editor? by Georgina Montgomery of West Coast Editorial Associates
- Five Reasons Why Self-Publishing Authors Need an Editor by Dick Margulis
- Jane Friedman's excellent resources for writers and publishers
- PenUltimate Editorial Services blog by Arlene Prunkl
So You Think You Can Edit (for Aspiring Editors)
- So You Want to Be an Editor, a free publication of Editors Canada
- On the Basics: So You Want to Be an Editor (or Proofreader), blog post by Ruth Thaler-Carter
- Meeting Professional Editorial Standards, a self-training series produced by Editors Canada
- The Copyeditor's Handbook, by Amy Einsohn, provides both a good overview of copy editing practice and exercises with answers
- Ryerson University offers editing courses online
- Simon Fraser University offers excellent summer workshops in editing and other aspects of publishing
For Editing Professionals and Other Word Geeks
- The Proofreader's Parlour, a treasure trove of editing-related material from Louise Harnby, who is amazingly generous with her time and knowledge. (My profuse thanks to Louise for allowing me to poach website ideas from her!) If you need a British proofreader, hire Louise.
- KOK Edit's Copyeditors' Knowledge Base, a list of resources on education and certification, editing tools, networking, and much more.
- Business of Editing / Proofreading, a series of articles on the Intelligent Editing website
- Editors’ Show and Tell: Time-saving Tips and Tricks, and other postings on Iva Cheung's blog
- Words / Myth / Ampers & Virgule, a blog by editor and designer Dick Margulis
- Sesquiotica, a blog by "word taster" extraordinaire James Harbeck
© Copyright 2012-2018 Dawn C. Loewen. All rights reserved.